Now our #glutenfree Soda Bread Mix is on the lovely Tesco NI shelves, we've decided today should be called #SodaSaturday :) Here's our Soda Farl recipe to get you ready for your morning fry!!
Prep Time - less than 5 minutes
Baking Time - 12-16 minutes depending on your hob.
1 Pack Moditions Gluten Free Soda Bread Mix
Buttermilk (less than 8 fl oz / 225 ml)
1. Preheat your griddle or heavy based large pan to a good medium high temperature. If it smokes, it's too hot. Sprinkle a little flour on it when you're ready to go and if it browns after a moment you'll know you're at the right heat - see point 6 below :) Don't grease the pan!
2. Open your dry mix, and take 1 level tablespoon of the mix from it and sprinkle onto your prep surface. Take a 2nd level tablespoon from the mix, and put in the foil tray to keep it safe until ready to use in point 4 below.
3. Put the rest of the mix into a large bowl. Add contents of the oil pot and 225 ml of buttermilk at little at a time to bring into a dough. NB: Make sure to add the buttermilk a little at a time as you might not need it all, or you may need a little extra... Your mix should be sticky to touch, but not wet or runny.
4. Turn out onto your floured surface and dust the top with the remaining tablespoon of mix from point 2. Use your hands to flatten out into a circle around 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick ensuring both sides floured. Don't knead or roll with a pin - remember it's gluten-free, so you've got no gluten to 'work'... by kneading or rolling, all you'd do is make it heavy. You can fold together once or twice to bring together if needed, but remember gentle touches do the job :)
5. Cut your circle in an X into 4 quarters i.e. farls!
6. Sprinkle a little of the left over flour from the surface you've been working at onto your griddle or pan, if burns your pan is too hot - if it doesn't colour, your heat is too low.
7. Place farls on your griddle/pan and bake for 6-8 minutes per side until done. You'll know when ready either by skewering to come out clean, or look for the tell-tale just about firm skin on the underside.
8. ....remove from heat, carefully slice open, slather with your favourite butter or topping and enjoy!!!
Remember farls don't keep too well - so enjoy when they are fresh :) Cover with a clean tea towel to keep them soft until you're ready.
Share this post